Happy Black Friday! How was your Thanksgiving Day? I missed Thoughts for Thursday yesterday, it’s been a whirlwind week. So instead, I’ll share a few random thoughts and then my Five on Friday picks.
- We are actually hosting 15 people today (so yes, this post is scheduled!) Thankfully friends and family are helping and bringing desserts and sides. We’re just handling the big turkey (actually, Clint is), and I’m working on this sweet potato casserole and apple pie. Yesterday Shep and I did our very first 5k/Kids Run together, so I’m justifying we’ve worked hard for this great meal. He was so excited for the race, but when it came time to go, it overwhelmed him and he only managed to run through the finish line of the Kids Dash with Clint rather than the whole race. I surprised myself by running relatively fast in the 4-miler, but now I’m hurting. Hoping we make this an annual tradition!
- Today is the most exciting shopping day of the year, right? Confession: My holiday shopping is almost done! I can’t believe it. And it’s not because I’m ahead of the game. I decided this year due to my lack of energy to do most of it online. I hope Clint and I still head out and do our normal Christmastime date night and buy a few special items, but it does feel so good to have most of it done.
- I also just finished getting a few new holiday decor items for the home. I like to get a few things every year I am crazy about to add to the collection, and try to keep from getting things to get things. Clutter makes me itchy! Here are some of my favorite picks to get today with all the great sales going on, and help you get ready for the busy holiday season. I picked up this flocked mantle garland, winter white holiday pillows and a third stocking so I know we have the same style when baby boy #3 is here!
And here are my 5 on Friday updates!
- First, a family update: Thanks to my awesome friends and readers who gave such helpful and encouraging comments regarding my post about the hitting phase we have been tackling. I am so thankful to share that we’re pretty much past the worst of it at this point. As soon as Beau started learning more words and finding ways to express himself, the hitting slowed down. We continually reinforced “gentle hands” along with his teachers at school, and were consistent in correcting it. But like I said, looking back at it now I think so much of it was Beau being frustrated he couldn’t talk. That said, he’s a toddler, and I know we’ll continue to have to reinforce ways to express feelings (we still do that with Shep constantly). I just no longer live in fear of taking Beau somewhere in public. That was isolating and really hard on the whole family. Thank you again for all your support, and if you are working with your toddler on this, I totally feel you, and stay consistent! It is a phase and it will pass!
- LOFT Shimmer Turtleneck Sweater: Let’s get into some fun picks for Black Friday. Because you always have to have a cozy holiday sweater to keep you warm during all that shopping! I just picked this one up (50% off the whole site with FRIYAY) and I’m hoping the oversize look works for a 16-week pregnant lady.
- Free People Fringe Scarf: I think any girl on your list would love this cozy, vibrant scarf, and you can never have too many! At $58 it’s a great buy for a special friend or neighbor on your list.
- Le Creuset Cast Iron Dutch Oven: You know you’re getting old when you dream of gorgeous and functional cookware. I have found several gorgeous Le Creuset pots at HomeGoods for half the price, and you can never have too many quality dishes. This is a special pick for mom or a sister who loves cooking. And if this style is a little on the expensive side, there are tons of pretty, bright accessory dishes too.
- Mississippi Crockpot Roast Recipe via Belle of the Kitchen: Finally today I’m sharing an easy crockpot recipe in case you need something to break up all those turkey leftovers. Clint found a version of this recipe and it was a hit! Only a few ingredients in the crockpot and then we served it over mashed potatoes and a side of glazed carrots (I always love a little salty/sweet combo!) Comfort food at its finest (and you could always make low-carb by serving over squash or veggies!)